Social media is one of the most powerful marketing tools available, and yet it is underutilized. Often, this is because companies or individuals fail to recognize the power of social media, or because they do not understand how much it boosts search engine optimization (SEO).
Social media shares do not have a direct effect on search engine rankings. That does not mean that they do not add value to your SEO. The more traffic you generate to your content the higher your ranking. The higher your ranking, the easier your content is to find. Easy to find content is the primary goal behind SEO.
There are numerous strategies to use social media to boost SEO. A few that you can implement right away are:
- Create and use as much evergreen content as possible. This strategy has several benefits. For social media marketing, the advantage is that you can re-share this at a standard interval depending on the platforms you are using. You also hope to have content that is worthy of being shared over and over again. You do not risk losing relevancy with evergreen content.
Using evergreen content has another advantage. It promotes link-building, where others use a link to your content in their pages. These inbound links help establish both the credibility and popularity of your content. These two items definitely promote better SEO.
- Social media makes link building, a key to SEO, less labor-intensive. You create quality content, share it on social media, then your audience shares it throughout their networks. This cycle gives people the ability to link to your content, increasing your SEO, with only the effort you put into creating valuable content. This organic reach from social media means that you have to put much less effort into promoting your content.
- Social media is a great place to build relationships. These relationships are valuable in gaining backlinks to your content. Social media provides the platform to engage with website owners, industry leaders, and bloggers. Once you have an established relationship, you can approach them about giving a backlink to your content. Using established relationships, and proving that you can be mutually beneficial to each other, is much more effective than cold proposals. This process takes time, but it is a reliable way to grow your SEO organically.
- Make sure you are targeting the right market on social media. Cultivating a group of followers who are interested in your content will increase your engagement. The more engaged your social media followers are, the more time they are likely to spend on-site with your linked SEO content. The time they spend on-site is a valuable metric to increase your search engine ranking.
- Focus your efforts on platforms that allow dofollow links. Tumblr, Reddit, and Pinterest all allow dofollow links, which can help boost your SEO. Larger platforms like Facebook and Twitter have their place in driving traffic, but the nofollow attribute given to all external links, there is no direct benefit to SEO.
- Find influencer marketing opportunities. Influencers have a massive social media reach and having them market your content will lead to increased followers and greater reach. When you hear the term influencer, you may think of the names that everyone knows in your field of interest. These people are often inundated with offers from large brands, and you may have a difficult time making a connection with them. Consider a micro-influencer instead. Micro-influencers are those who are making a big splash in a small pool. Micro-influencers are niche-based and have a strong voice in that niche. Micro-influencers generally have high engagement rates. These influencers are usually easier to approach and more likely to collaborate if your content fits within their sphere of influence.
As part of your social media strategy, use the platforms wisely. Create relationships, engage in content and add value to discussions. If you just spam links to your content, social media will probably have very little influence on the ranking of your content. Instead, prove your value on social media. Establish yourself as an expert in your field, and connect with other experts in the same and related fields. These relationships will help you form networks to boost your SEO.
Social media marketing is a well recognized and valuable tool for reaching a customer base. Now, it is time to use social media to drive organic traffic to your content, build a system of relevant front and backlinks and increase your search engine ranking.